The Indiana Thoroughbred Breed Development Program is providing up to $2,000 in incentives for new mares purchased and brought into the state of Indiana for the 2020 foaling season.
It’s the first step for the growth of breeding and racing in Indiana supported by an increase in funding from the implementation of table games at the state’s two pari-mutuel tracks. The incentive is aimed towards breeders who have purchased, or are still looking to purchase, mares in foal at the major breeding stock sales throughout the end of 2019 and the beginning of 2020.
To be eligible for the initial $1,000 incentive, the following criteria must be met:
– Purchase a mare in foal at a public sale between November 1, 2019, and March 1, 2020, at a minimum purchase price of $5,000.
– Submit documentation of purchase with the mare’s 2020 Indiana registration.
– Verify that the mare has not been previously registered in the Indiana Thoroughbred Breed Development Program.
– Submit a 2020 mare registration with the Indiana Horse Racing Commission (IHRC) prior to foaling.
– The mare must foal in Indiana, and reside in the state for 30 days after foaling.
– Fulfill breed back requirements, if applicable. Please contact the IHRC to verify if you are required to breed back to a registered Indiana stallion.
– Register the foal with the IHRC.
The incentive payment will be issued to the breeder once the 2020 foal has been registered with the program and eligibility is verified.
An additional $1,000 will be offered to breeders who can fulfill the second part of the following requirements with the same mare:
– Breed the purchased mare back to a registered Indiana stallion for the 2020 season.
– Submit a 2021 mare application with the IHRC prior to foaling.
– Return your mare to Indiana to foal in 2021.
– Comply with all requirements for registration.
– Register the 2021 foal with the IHRC.
The incentive payment will be issued once the 2021 foal is registered with the program and eligibility is verified.
“We’re excited about the potential growth we are expecting in the coming years, thanks to the increase in funding starting in 2020,” says Jessica Barnes, Director of Racing and Breed Development for the IHRC. “I applaud the Indiana Thoroughbred Breed Development Advisory Committee for their forward-thinking in proposing this incentive. Big things are coming to our program and we invite breeders to get in from the beginning to reap the most rewards.”
Breeders are welcome to call the IHRC with questions Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 317-234-2542.
More information can be found on the program’s website (http://in.gov/hrc/tb/).
(from IHRC news release)